Sunday, May 25, 2008

First few days...





My first few days in Prag (Praha, Prague), have been fantastic, albeit too short. The city is spectacular and on the plus side, very clean. For the most part the natives are very nice and always willing to help when you need it, or look confused (which I have been for the past day). It has been very interesting to see the cultural differences between Prague and the United States. Being like an American is not really an aspiration like in some countries, but the influence of the U.S. is everywhere, especially in the music. Every cafe or bar that you walk into is blaring U.S. music from one era or another (90's music is especially popular), and advertisements for LIVE JAZZ are everywhere. 

Not unlike other parts of Europe, it is not uncommon to go sit in an outdoor beer garden for hours on end, or just take your beer on the go and walk around with it... Everyone is very laid back and seemingly never in a hurry. Virtually everywhere you walk is a photograph waiting to happen as the city is so well preserved. There are fewer Americans here than I thought, but it is probably just early in the season... However, there are TONS of people here from other European countries because Prague is so cheap (not on the Euro for another 2 years)... I am surrounded by a milieu of languages and it is rather rare to hear English. 

The pictures with the shiny rubbings are on Charles Bridge, and, depending on your religion, are supposed to be touched for good luck or a blessing and have been rubbed for hundreds of years...

All in all, it has been a great past two days. Class starts tomorrow and I don't know when I will get to explore more, but I am hoping that it will be soon!

6 comments:

Caribbean Tarantula flyer said...

Hey Em,,I have never blogged before so I hope that you get this. All sounds as if it is going well. Start telling people your descended from Czech royal blood and see if you get any free stuff like a summer palalce or some free deserts. Maybe you will even be married off to some HOTTIE of a prince who could hook me up with his brother and we could all hang out at the palace together...How are all the steps treating you.

BE SAFE

LOVE uncle JBII

Caribbean Tarantula flyer said...

hey does everyone get to see this????????????????????

jbii

El.mily said...

Yes...lol. There should not be this many steps let alone in one country, let alone a city!!!! I am going to be in fantastic shape by the time I get home... Hope that all is well with you

Love Em

plandome mineral said...

Hi Elm,

Aunt Diane hear dictating for Grandma, Gaga, Glama, Murm,

Love the Blog and the pictures. What an experience. How's the roomate sitch - keep us posted.

Be safe and be well. Steer clear of runaway scooters.

Lots of Love xoxooxoxoxoox
your Fam, in Plandome

plandome mineral said...

Elm,

Aunt Diane HERE. Murm and I are psyched that we figured this out. Now , WE just have to work on the spelling. Murm just put her elbow on my shoulder - must be getting close to beddy - bye time.

We Love you - Plandome group

Anonymous said...

Em! I am so happy you are having this experience and the pictures all look awesome, especially the one your apartment is on. I can't wait to get your address so I can send you something, you birthday is SO soon.
Love you,
Micki